Saturday, July 21, 2012

Fireworking

Today was awesome because I had no money and no phone.  my thirty days of free mail ran out, and I have to recharge it using about $30 that I currently don't have.  The ATMs aren't reading my card again (I think the company STILL doesn't know I'm in Japan), so I tried to go to the bank to cash a traveler's check.  Half the people I have talked to about it said banks aren't open on Saturdays here, and the other half said they are, but either way the bank was closed today.  I know I've been to a bank here on a Saturday, though, so I have no idea whats going on.

Anyway, all I had was about $10 my host mom gave me for dinner.  Luckily, all that was happeing today was fireworks, and there was no need to go all the way to the festival area to see them.  We (Sophie, Sona, Joey, Anita, Cermet, Lucas, Wesley, and myself) all set up shop n the top floor of the building where we have our classes and had a great view.





Fireworks in Japan last a very, very long time.  At this particular event there were around 6,000.  This is because companies each sponsor a display of fireworks about half the size of an American show, and they just keep going until everyone's display has been shown.  That's why, even though we all went to the convenience store to buy dinner, the fireworks weren't nearly over.



If you look above Lucas' head, you can see the fireworks still going.

We returned to our chosen fifth floor room and resumed watching the fireworks, now with food.  I had chicken curry, that melon drink I like, and grape candy.



Even though we'd been to the convenience store and back, the show still wasn't at all finished.





Above is a picture from the very end.  Japan takes fireworks very seriously.

Because it's summer and we didn't want to go home yet, we went out and bought sparklers for EVEN MORE FIREWORK FUN.



This is probably the greatest picture of Lucas ever taken.



And this is just because I wanted to see these stringy-type sparklers on film.  It looks neat.



After that, we all  talked for a bit before going home.  When I got back, my host mom gave me a slice of melon that was better than any I've ever had in m entire life.  Then I typed this.  Overall a successful day, despite the annoyances of the early afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment