Friday, July 6, 2012

Lazy Weekend なう

This weekend, aside from a lunch on Sunday, I don't really have plans!  Isn't that exciting?  It's kind of exciting for me; it means I can save money.
Today our second Japanese class was taken up by a presentation by some of the Japanese students about anime and manga.  Here's the presentation as it was happening.



They had passed out a survey last week for all the international students to fill out, and when asked "Do you have any questions about anime and manga?" I jokingly wrote "How can I meet the voice actresses Nana Mizuki and Yui Itsuki?".  I forgot that Japan doesn't always pick up on that kind of joke, so during one part of the presentation they actually answered me (essentially they said "Join the fanclub", which I already knew).  Being Japanese students, they were very on top of the subject, and absolutely nothing they said made me seethe with rage as a similar presentation from American fans often will.  They've been into it since their childhood here, so inaccuracy is not common. 



Though they didn't have it yesterday, I was finally able to get Spider-man bread for lunch.  It's strawberry/chocolate flavored, and wasn't too bad.  I told everyone the chocolate chips were spider abdomens, because why wouldn't I tell them that when they kept asking what flavor it was?
After lunch I did my one sheet of homework, then decided I really needed to go home and sleep.  For whatever reason I didn't sleep but four hours or so last night, so the rest was more or less a welcome one.  It did remind me, however, that I never wake up feeling good after a nap.  I always end up with heartburn or just feeling sick in general, and because of that I usually hate naps.
After sleeping for about two hours, I walked back to school because it was still raining.  Also, I wanted to use my mp3 player (T-ara's secondary song this time around is GREAT), which you can't legally do while riding a bike here.  It was way too humid, and when I got to school none of my Japanese friends were around.
That's okay, though, because Kentaro and Kayla were standing around trying to make some plans for later.  They originally wanted to see Men in Black III, but because I already saw it and they couldn't coordinate the movie times very well with Mizuki's schedule, that didn't happen.  Instead, it was decided that once Mizuki and Eimi had finished class we would go to get some Korean food.  We waited for a bit on the fourth floor and drew on one of the classroom white boards before leaving and meeting Mizuki and Eimi on the way out.



Here's the restaurant.  Like and Korean restaurant in Japan, it is plastered with K-pop stuff, because they know what draws in customers.



I had bibimbap again, because it's always good and very hard to mess up.  I don't know what it is about Korean food, but it always makes me feel better.  All my post-nap sluggishness and acid reflux disappeared after I finished this.



Kentaro (left) and Kayla (right) are actually international students from schools in California (though Kayla is from Hawaii).  Kentaro is some fraction Japanese, and Kayla is 100% Japanese-American. In the middle is Mizuki, who is 100% from Japan.  Eimi was to my right, and Wesley was to my left.  I forget what they're doing with their hands here.



After dinner we all went to the convenience store to get ice cream.  Mine was Oreo flavored, though  I am mildly regretful that I didn't get the banana variety.  After we all finished, I walked with everyone to the station before heading on home.



Here's a spooky picture of the school after closing time.  I like it like this, though you probably can't see very well.



Here's a shot from the park, also very spooky.  I like to take walks here, though my constant walking and biking with no particular destination in mind (except maybe to the department store) has caused my host mom to remark that I have the hobbies of an old lady.  This is more or less true here, but the details of said hobbies are a bit different.  Usually I'm going to the store to buy old games instead of groceries.

I also noticed a few days ago that I miss lots and lots of typos when I proofread these entries.  Many of them are made rather late at night when I am more than ready to sleep, so I often miss things that are later quite apparent.  However, if I go and edit them after I've already posted an entry, Blogger messes up my formatting and makes the post look super ugly.  It's not usually worth the trouble to fix one quick typo, so I'm just letting you all know why many entries contain obnoxious typographical errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment